Tomb Raider Level Editor workspace screenshot. Click to enlarge.
The Tomb Raider Level Editor allows players to build, play and share their own Tomb Raider levels using the same game engine employed in The Last Revelation and Chronicles (TR4 and 5). The Level Editor tools are included on a separate CD sold with the PC and Macintosh version of Chronicles. This CD also includes an extensive manual and tutorial in PDF format. If you don't have the game, or if you bought the PlayStation version of Chronicles, you can download the Level Editor for free (below), but you must build and play on the PC.
In addition to the tools supplied with the editor, player-designers have created a wealth of additional content-from textures, objects, audio files and costumes for Lara to online tutorials, FAQs and message boards for exchanging tips and finished levels.
Even if you don't have the time or talent to create your own levels, you may still want to check out some of the hundreds of levels other fans have made. With custom levels, Lara's adventures never end!
IMPORTANT: Tombraiders.net does not offer level editor support. Please visit the sites listed below for tutorials, FAQs, troubleshooting, etc. Many have forums where you can ask questions and chat with other player-designers.
Whether you just want to download levels to play or if want to start designing your own custom levels, here are a few good places to start. Keep in mind that this is just the tip of the TRLE iceberg. Check my general Links page for many more sites that feature level editor info along with other content.
- Official Level Editor Forum - Includes FAQs, tools, numerous tutorials, links, etc. Be sure to start with the sticky topics at the top of the list.
- TRLE.net - Recommended fan-run site includes reviews, creator interviews and bios, forum, tools and help for level builders, and a level listing/search covering dozens of downloads for players.
- Aspidetr.com (Italiano/English) - Another great general TRLE site for both creators and players.
- Facebook Level Editor Group - For beginners who want to learn how to use the tools.
- Lara's Levelbase (Deutsch/English) - General resource for the TRLE. Includes forum, levels, tools, knowledgebase, newsletter, custom level walkthroughs, and more.
- MacRaider - Macintosh TR Level Editor info and links for players and level creators.
- Tombraiderchronicles.com - Download the editor itself, plus tools, tutorials, levels and level editor forum.
- TRLE FAQ & Community - Lots of useful links to various forum topics and downloads.
- TRLE Search Engine - A compilation of tools, files and info primarily geared toward level designers.
- T.R.O. Online - French site with a solid level editor section. Includes tutorials and downloads as well as playable levels.